The most likely reasons behind a PC running slow usually are:
- The disk is too fragmented.
- A disease infects your laptop.
- Your Internet connection is too slow-moving.
- Your Registry needs clearing up.
- Not enough memory.
- Your PC (Processor) is too slow.
- Videos card is not up to the needs you have.
You can use Windows Task Manager to measure memory usage and PC utilization. To open Windows Taskmgr, right-click a space for the taskbar and click Taskmgr. The Performance tab indicates the CPU and ram utilization. Another helpful tool is a Windows Management Console (Performance Monitor). To activate WMC click Start, then pick out Administrative Tools, then Effectiveness. To know how to disk cleanup, click here.
Is disk too fragmented?
Work with standard Windows tools (or other programs such as Ashampoo) to remove unneeded files, what is a disk and defragment the item if necessary.
- To run Microsoft Microsoft windows Disk Cleanup, click Start, point to All Programs, specify Accessories, point to System Instruments, and then click Disk Washing, then follow the instructions. This kind of removes un-needed files. You must aim to have at least 15% free space on each storage drive.
- To open Microsoft Home windows Disk Defragmenter, click Begin, point to All Programs, point out Accessories, point to System Resources, and then click Disk Defragmentation tool. The defragmenter needs a minimum of 15% free space within the disc to work correctly.
- For facts about using the Disk Defragmentation tool, click Assist on the Action menu within Disk Defragmenter.
Run a complete system scan (first, ensure that your anti-virus software is up to date). If you are using free anti-virus software programs such as Avast, you should purchase a better one. I use Kaspersky, which will not seem to slow the PERSONAL COMPUTER down as much as the others perform.
Is the Internet connection too slow?
The actual giveaway here is that browsing the web, downloading files, emails, etc., is slower; otherwise, your PC is OK. Next, run a speed analysis (e. g., speed test. net) to see what speed you will be getting (usually not nearly as expensive as the advertised speed). If the rate is too slow, mend a washing machine to your provider and try another.
Does Windows Windows registry need cleaning up?
If you do not routinely clean up the Registry, there may be 1000s of redundant posts in the Registry, but they no longer usually have much effect on functionality. Ccleaner (piriform. com/CCleaner) is generally free and does a reasonable task of tidying up the windows registry.
A couple of registry cleaners are available to buy, which are much more comprehensive but very slow. Over-zealous cleaning of the Registry can eliminate mandatory entries, which would cause problems. Individually, I don’t think buying a computer registry cleaner is worthwhile. Ccleaner is free and entirely adequate, in my opinion.
Registry cleaners usually include other resources such as removing unwanted records, defragmenting the disk, monitoring which programs and services are often auto-started, monitoring disk place usage, restoring deleted records, etc.
Time for an upgrade?
If none of the suggestions above help, then it’s time for an update. This does not necessarily mean buying a brand new computer. First, check if the one you have can be improved. Tower PCs are do-it-yourself, made from standard components, and in principle, any part could be replaced by a similar, faster one without changing the whole computer.
However, updating the motherboard or model (CPU) is not likely to be cost-effective as they are a large percentage of the total charge. Also, your choice of motherboards which might be compatible with all the other components, can be limited. You may usually add a memory (RAM) top for a laptop, but replacing various other members is not as easy as for a tower DESKTOP.
Not enough memory?
This is the simplest and usually the most cost-effective update. Many systems are sold using the absolute minimum of RAM (random access memory). Including more is generally relatively easy if you don’t have sufficient RAM. The RAM is actually on small cards. This clip into sockets on the motherboard. (there may also be RAM mounted entirely on the motherboard and refuge memory in the CPU and the motherboard, which can not be changed) The amount you need depends upon what operating system you manage and what you use your computer to get. The official minimum RAM to get:
- Windows XP -256 MB (not enough, in my opinion)
- Windows Vista home essential – 512 MB (ditto)
- Microsoft Windows Vista – 1 gig
- Windows 7 – just one GB (2 GB to get 64-bit processors)
- Unix and derivatives such as Ubuntu – depend on the version; 128 MB is typical
To keep twelve tabs available in your browser, email addresses, and instant messaging and alter photos, all at the same time, you will need loads of RAM. If you run video game titles, the game’s papers should indicate the minimum spec for that game. Understand that Windows Task Manager will suggest how much memory is being applied. Another sign of bad memory is a lot of drive access for no evident reason due to virtual storage being swapped and out of the page file. (This is known as ‘thrashing’. )
Regarding 32-bit processors, the most memory is 4 GB fewer, a certain amount reserved for hardware capabilities and video board storage. This limit is due to the style of the processor. It is not an actual Windows limit, although Unix systems can use more than 4GB if correctly set up. (this means that should you install 3 GB of RAM, it can all be applied, but if you install 4 GB, several of the memory will not be usable).
To get 64-bit systems, the absolute maximum memory is usually only reduced by your budget and the number of pai gow poker for memory cards.
1. Acquire much memory is fitted already, what type it is, and whether there are any unfilled sockets to add more. Then, when there are no empty slots, you could substitute a memory card with a more substantial one e. g. swap 256 MB with just one GB.
2. Older PCs might have two memory sockets, allowing only 512 MB and 1 GB per tooth socket. Laptops may have just one ram socket. Therefore, you need to evaluate the PC spec cautiously to ensure that you are getting the right type. A utility such as CPU-Z will analyze your PC in great detail, telling you the sort of memory used, how many slot machine games, and much more. All Computers now use DDR DIMM (Double Data Rate Dual In-line Memory Module) cards. There are numerous types in use. The kind you require depends on the motherboard:
- DDR memory (184 pin RAM, speed PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200)
- DDR2 storage (240 pin DIMM, velocity PC2-3200, 4200, 5300, 6400, 8000, 8500 or 9600)
- DDR3 memory (240 green DIMM, but not interchangeable together with DDR2, speed PC3-6400, 8500, 10600, 12800, or 16000)
- Laptops normally use SODIMM (Small Outline Dual In-line Memory Module) memory control cards.
Once you have decided what type of storage is needed, choose the size and speed. Faster storage is better but a little more pricey. You may see ECC (Error Correcting Code) memory available for sale, but it is almost impossible that a desktop system will help support it.
Buy a well-known model such as Crucial. RAM is not expensive, and it’s not worthwhile buying unknown brands to save a couple of $.
To replace GOOD OLD RAM for a ‘tower’ PC:
May help computer’s power cable. Don’t simply switch it off; leave the cord fastened.
- Remove the side cover.
- Bring or replace the memory card.
- Affect the cover
- Replace the power wire and any others you will have disconnected. Reboot the COMPUTER.
- Check that the new RAM will be working OK.
RAM replacement of a laptop is a similar inside principle:
- Power off,
- close up the display
- turn notebook over
- remove battery
- eliminate the cover over the memory card position
- insert or replace the storage device
- replace the memory card cover
- affect the battery
- power up and reboot your computer.
Is the processor too slow?
When the task manager shows that there is adequate memory, but the CPU operation is too high, you have to may help load or get a more quickly CPU. It may be possible to lower the burden by getting rid of auto-started plans when you start your PC or removing add-ons such as Google toolbar. This tool may be helpful, but if weight loss programs start tasks that can constantly be running in the background, they may slow your PC down.
Sadly the anti-virus program should not be turned off, even though it may well be the particular worst culprit for delaying your PC down. You might also get a virus or Trojan course slowing your PC. Programs including CCleaner or Ashampoo include tools to help remove excess programs.
I find Internet Explorer is very slow, Firefox is quicker, and Chrome is faster still, while some other people’s applications won’t work with Brilliant. For example, a few websites, such as Microsoft company Update, will only work with Ie.
Replacing the microprocessor will be beyond the scope of the article. It may well be possible to upgrade the processor without replacing the motherboard, yet processors are expensive and need to be chosen and installed meticulously. For example, replacing a Celeron CPU with a compatible Pentium CPU should be straightforward, but it is pretty costly.
Replacing the Video playing card
This is mainly done to function newer games that require considerably more graphics power than your laptop has. This might be an older model, or the PC hasn’t been sold with top-end artwork because it was not initially created for playing games.
You will want a video playing card with an AGP (Advanced Artwork Processor) interface rather than a PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) screen, even if the current video playing card uses a PCI slot. When your PC supports PCIe (PCI express), use that in place of AGP. Your PC may have videos integrated into the motherboard, which will not be physically removed, although it must be bypassed to use the new video card.
If your LAPTOP OR COMPUTER has a 32-bit model and 4 GB of RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY, then memory on the online video card will reduce the available RAM by a similar amount. This is because addresses need to be allocated to the video card recollection, which makes part of the RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY non-addressable as there are not enough 34-bit addresses to access 4 GIG of RAM plus the online video card memory. E. Grams. If the video card possesses 64 MB of RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY, the maximum amount of workable regular RAM is decreased by 64 MB.
Read also: Protect Your Computer For Safe Net Usage